Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Lessons from 'Confessions'

I saw Sophie Kinsella’s novel-turned-feature-film “Confessions of a Shopaholic," starring actress Isla Fischer, forever and a day ago, and I've been meaning to blog about its untimely debut in theaters for quite awhile. And since there is one specific scene that often plays over in my head, even weeks after seeing it, I figured it was time to finally sit down and discuss it.

First, the premise: Basically, moviegoers watch main character/recent college grad Rebecca Bloomwood max out her credit cards to pay for designer goods and partake in uninhibited, superfluous shopping until she learns the predictable, valuable lesson: You don't have to spend big money to get what you want out of life. Simple enough.

But here's the scene I was referring to: When Bloomwood walks by various department stores, window mannequins come alive and lure her in to shop. This comical and charming scene is not only one of the more entertaining parts of the film, it's also relatable.

I thought of this earlier while on my way to the bank, reminding myself that I needed to deposit money, not spend it on the way there. When the sun finally sneaks out (as it's finally been doing these days), it's hard to resist casual strolls that involve peeking in your favorite stores.

By the end of the movie, Bloomwood finally resists this temptation, and animated mannequins consequently celebrate by clapping and cheering.

This window-shopping only mentality obviously doesn't bode well for retailers, but it's a common mindset still on the table. And I can't help but feel a little victorious when I resist the same temptation too.

I searched everywhere for the clip online (and ultimately failed), but watch the trailer above for a film refresher.

No comments: