Monday, January 19, 2009

E-Blast Annoyances

I'm starting to get frustrated by "personalized" e-mails from companies that don't have a clue about my personal preferences.

Take this recent example from United Airlines. My preferred airline carrier recently sent me an e-mail detailing specials on flights that leave out of Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles. After flying with the airline for several years, you would think they would finally notice that I only fly out of the New York City area.

"Personalized" e-mails such as this give off the idea that they are doing customers a favor, when it fact, it's only cluttering their inboxes. It can also make them feel frustrated to see no flight specials leaving out of their airport -- why rub it in?

The entire e-mail was of no use to me, and I was left feeling like the company (from which I spend hundreds of dollars on plane tickets each year) has no idea who I am or what I actually want.

That said, when you try to reach your customers with touches of "personalization," be sure to segment them correctly so it doesn't do more harm than good.

No comments: