Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Too Far Beyond

This isn't a Gen Y-specific find, per say, but it's something I thought was warranted to bring to the table.

I took this picture recently as I went down the escalator at a three-level Bed, Beth & Beyond location in Manhattan. I initially thought the floor-to-ceiling set-up of travel and pocket-size accessories sent a powerful message to consumers (there's so much to choose from!), but then reality set in: "How in the world am I going to find what I want?"

Looking for a travel-size tube of toothpaste turned into a treasure hunt -- and asking a salesperson for help with something so small was frustrating (it's all too high to reach). Realistically, the design of this wall was just impractical. Easy on-the-go purchases quickly became cumbersome.

Even if the goal is to make a statement in design, it's so important for retailers to make life easier for busy shoppers -- not add more hassle to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, how does anyone get to those higher up products? Not a good use of space.